HOW TO APPLY FOR REGISTRATION AS A REGISTERED PSYCHOLOGIST
The registered psychologist registration is a 30-month, non-renewable registration. To qualify, the applicant must meet the requirements set forth in Business and Professions Code, section 2909.5 and the California Code of Regulations, Title 16, Article 5.
Please reference our processing timelines for new applications and incoming mail.
Step 1A: APPLICATION AND FEE
- Complete all sections of the application and sign where required with original signature(s) (preferably in blue ink).
- Mail completed application to:
Board of Psychology
1625 North Market Blvd., Suite N-215
Sacramento, CA 95834
- There is no fee for this application.
Step 1B: SUBMIT SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION FOR APPLICATION
- Official transcript(s) for the qualifying doctoral degree must be sent to the Board in one of the following three ways:
- Mailed directly from the educational institution to the Board
- Emailed by the educational institution to email@example.com.
- Submitted in an envelope that has been sealed and signed by the educational institution from the applicant along with the application
- Transcript(s) must reflect the degree conferred or awarded date.
- If you have previously submitted a doctoral transcript in support of a psychological assistant application or a registered psychologist application, you are NOT required to submit the same official transcript for the purpose of this application.
- If the degree was awarded outside the United States or Canada, in addition to the official transcript, a comprehensive evaluation of the degree is required to be submitted to the Board. The evaluation must be performed by a foreign credential evaluation service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).
SUPERVISION AGREEMENT AND VERIFICATION OF EXPERIENCE
- Requires 1500 hours of Supervised Professional Experience (SPE) earned pre-/post-doctorally.
- Submit original signed Supervision Agreement and Verification of Experience (VOE) Form(s) in a sealed envelope signed across the seal by your primary supervisor. If the hours were accrued outside of California, submit the VOE Form(s) for Out-of-State SPE instead.
- If you intend to accrue supervised professional experience towards licensure, complete and sign with an original signature (preferably in blue ink), a separate supervision agreement including a detailed description of the supervision plan to be submitted with your application for the registration.
Note: Hours of SPE accrued in California prior to the completion of the Supervision Agreement will not be accepted.
- Complete the Board's Request for Live Scan Services and take it to a Live Scan site to submit fingerprints to Department of Justice (DOJ) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for criminal history background check.
- After submission of your fingerprints through Live Scan, submit a copy of the Request for Live Scan Services to the Board.
Step 2: ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND REVIEW
- The Board will send an email acknowledging the date the application was received.
- A licensing analyst will review the application and supporting documentation and send an email outlining deficiencies, if any.
- The average processing timeframes for initial application review is available for reference on the Board’s website.
Step 3: REGISTRATION APPLICATION WITHDRAWAL, DENIAL, OR APPROVAL
- An application that is not completed within ninety (90) days after additional information is requested will be withdrawn.
- The Board will contact you via email or certified mail if an application is denied because the registration requirements are not met.
- The Board will contact you via email when your registration is approved.
Last updated: April 29, 2019